Journaling To Heal
When it comes to healing through journaling, remember to do whatever makes you feel happy! Be expressive with your feelings, no matter how mean, ugly, hurtful, upsetting, or shameful they may be. Own them! Always give yourself permission to feel whatever and however you feel. Allow your words to have a voice then release them.
Allow journaling to help aid you on your journey to heal!
These are ways to start journaling:
1. Decide your writing material, you can use a notebook, your phone, a laptop or computer.
2. Try to set aside time to write daily (at least 15-20 minutes) .
3. Find a quiet and comfortable space without distractions.
4. You don’t need a specific topic, write whatever comes to mind.
5. Think about how you feel and why you feel the way you do.
6. Begin writing and don’t worry about spelling errors, grammar, language or mistakes.
7. Do not judge what you write. Let your feelings speak freely.
8. You can write as though you're speaking to a person(s) or yourself. What is something that you want to say?
9. You don’t have to focus on your abuse or trauma.
10. You can write positive affirmations or things you are grateful for.
Ways to keep your journal confidential:
1. Keep your journal on your laptop or computer and have a password.
2. Write in your phone for security purposes and keep a passcode.
3. Keep a lockbox where only you can access to what you wrote.
4. Write it down on paper then tear it up or burn it.
These are some benefits of journaling:
1. Sometimes it’s easier to write things down instead of talking about them.
2. Gives your feelings, emotions and thoughts a voice.
3. Makes you aware of your thoughts and feelings.
4. Helps you to process things that happened.
5. Emptying your mind on to paper helps bring clarity.
6. Gives you freedom to express feelings that will aid in healing.
7. Increases self -awareness.
8. Releases pent up emotions that may be overwhelming you.
9. Can lessen depression and anxiety.
10. Helps you to track your progress and see how far you’ve come.